Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Spain in a Week

Did you ever have trouble counting days until something happens? I noticed that the day count I have had is inclusive, meaning that it counts the days at both ends. Exactly a week from the time I write this, I expect to be either on a train going from Madrid toward Osuna, or arriving in Osuna. I'm not certain of the departure and arrival times. But I know our team will actually be in Spain.
No doubt there will be other types of confusion on this trip. It's inevitable, especially in travel involving languages and cultures that the travellers don't know very well.
Speaking of confusion, I observe that we are not alone. In Matthew 26.20-35, we naturally tend to be drawn to the verses in the middle, where the Lord institutes His table. But observe the happenings on both sides. First, Jesus points out that someone will betray him. All the disciples seem genuinely surprised. No doubt, all were confused, including Judas, who surely was not planning to be confronted with his impending denial. Then, after the meal, Jesus tells Peter of his impending denial. This throws tremendous confusion into the ranks.
Pray that Christ's people will focus on his presence, in the midst of our unfaithfulness. Pray that we will look to his body broken on our behalf and his blood shed on our behalf for our strength and comfort. Pray that for the team going to Spain as well. May we be faithful messengers of the centrality of Christ's sacrifice for us!

No comments: